Starring in the film are Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlen, Laura Dern, Timothée Chalamet, and Meryl Streep.
Little Women explores the lives of the March sisters in 1860s New England, in the aftermath of the American Civil War. According to one of its producers, the new adaptation focuses more on the sisters' young adult lives, particularly after Meg, Jo, and Amy leave their family home. The film jumps back and forth in time and focuses more on themes than narrative.
- Saoirse Ronan as Jo March
- Emma Watson as Meg March
- Florence Pugh as Amy March
- Eliza Scanlen as Elizabeth March
- Laura Dern as Marmee
- Timothée Chalamet as Theodore Laurence
- Meryl Streep as Aunt March
- Tracy Letts as Mr. Dashwood
- Bob Odenkirk as Father March
- James Norton as John Brooke
- Louis Garrel as Friedrich Bhaer
- Chris Cooper as Mr. Laurence
- Jayne Houdyshell as Hannah
- Abby Quinn as Annie Moffat
Little Women had its world premiere at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City on December 7, 2019, and theatrically released in the United States on December 25, 2019, by Sony Pictures Releasing.
The film is set to have its initial North America video release on DVD and blu-ray edition on April 7, 2020, preceded by its initial digital release on March 10, 2020.
The film has received critical acclaim and was chosen by both the American Film Institute and Time magazine as one of the top ten films of 2019. At the 77th Golden Globe Awards, it received two nominations, including Best Actress in a Motion Picture, (Drama) for Ronan.